Search & Win

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pantry Challenge: Week 2

Day 1-2. Wednesday and Thursday:
Because I didn't meal plan until Friday, these days are lumped together. We had BBQ chicken sandwiches for dinner on Wednesday. Then Thursday, we had soup, pasta and broccoli. I had previously opened a can of Chicken and Wild Rice soup a few days earlier (the day we ended up ordering pizza instead) and when I had it on the stove, I had a pot right next to it getting ready to make a side of fettuccine alfredo, and when I went to pour milk in the pot for the pasta, I poured it into the soup! Argh! So I had to dump that and made a can of steak and potato soup instead. Dinner ended up being pretty yummy, despite the soup from a can and pasta form a bag and not-quite-steamed-all-the-way-through broccoli. I made sugar cookies later and they were super yummy. (I don't normally like sugar cookies either!)

Day 3. Friday:
Mmm. I am typing this on Saturday and last nights dinner is still running through my mind. I don't know what Brad thought, but I thought it was SO YUMMY! I heated up a big can of "Chile Verde" which turned out better than I thought it would, then heated up some leftover Mexican rice from last week, heated up some refried beans, and made homemade tortillas! I served it all with cheese and sour cream and scarfed down two giant fatty yummy burritos. I then proceeded to eat 3 giant sugar cookies from the night before. Am I a fatty or what?! Mmmm!

Day 4. Saturday:
Today was a yummy day! I picked up my BB this morning (see earlier post) and used the bread to have FOUR slices of toast with butter and homemade freezer jam for breakfast. Brad and Katie had toast as well. Lunch was at Seven Peaks Waterpark in Provo, hamburgers and chips. Dinner wasn't anything too special though. Fried shrimp with a side salad and some of the seedless black grapes from the BB this morning. I ate SO many grapes. Yum-O! Katie and Brad weren't big fans of the grapes (Brad thought they didn't have enough flavor, but he likes green grapes, which I don't really, and Katie has a slight aversion to fruit) but I thought they were great and will probably sneak some to church tomorrow to snack on during the meetings.

Day 5. Sunday:
No breakfast this morning. We were running late to church, again, so I had to feed Katie her oatmeal in the car. Brad ad a choclate pudding while I starved. Lol! Lunch was a burrito with leftover Chile Verde for me while Brad had a PB&J. I had to open my last jar of Strawberry freezer jam for it, so I definitely need to make my way down to Walmart tomorrow to get those free packs of pectin. Then I can make some more with the strawberries from BB. Now dinner. . . here's where we really stuffed ourselves. Mushroom chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry stuffing and corn on the cob. Mmm mmm mmm. I was hoping to make rolls as well, but my 3 hour nap after church kind of prevented that from happening. :)

Day 6. Monday:
Today was my errand-running day. After Kohls, Walmart, JC Penney, Seagull Book, Target, and Smith's, I was exhausted! Luckily, I didn't spend very much when it came to food. I spent about $1 at Walmart for 2 Dreyer's Shakes, 4 Activia Selects, and 1 packet of instant fruit pectin (which I used to make 2 jars of strawberry freezer jam when I got home). I also got two huge bags of flour, one all-purpose and one whole wheat, but I won't count those because I decided to get the big bags that cost more so that it will last me a while. At target, I spent about $8 on 2 gallons of milk and two bags of Mexican-style rice that were on clearance and a box of snacks for Katie. Smith's, my last stop of the day, ran me about $8. Oops! But I did get quite a bit: 6 limes, cilantro, 1 red onion, 1 green bell pepper, 1 jalepeno, 1 butternut squash, 3 heads of broccoli, a bag of BBQ Lays (for free with Q), a bag of Oreo's (for free with Q), and an impulse bag of Red Vines. So, only about $2 left for the month. I think I set the bar too high for my first try at this. Haha! Definitely won't be under budget, but I have done SO much better this month than any other month, ever, so I am proud of myself for that.
Now, onto yesterday's dinner! I was going to make Chicken Lo Mein (Which was actually a box of Asian Helper, an off shoot of Hamburger Helper) but decided to do a stir-fry instead. I used the green bell pepper, the broccoli, and red bell pepper (from my BB), and sliced up 2 chicken breasts. I had a packet of General Tso stir fry sauce stuff that I had gotten for free with a Q months and months ago and it was pretty yummy with this! I didn't have any whote rice, though, so we had Uncle Ben's Creamy Chicken rice. Haha! Still a good dinner though. And I love using my Wok!
Rather than making dessert as I had planned, we went and saw the community play, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat (which was SO good by the way. Good job Herriman!), and while there we had sour patch, popcorn, and sprite. Good enugh for dessert for me. :)

Day 7. Tuesday:
Today was pretty dern easy. Cereal for breakfast. Leftovers for lunch. Breakfast for dinner. Lol. I made waffles and french toast and sliced up a cantaloupe, with milk to drink. Mmm! A nice easy end to this last week.

No comments: